As part of my work at the Center for Excellence in Higher Education, one of my projects was to re-envision the website that talks about the Center itself, as the focus is always on the schools, not the umbrella corporation. The old site looked like this:
It was in need of an update, but had been ignored for so long that no one bothered.
I took a look at it and set to work on what the new site needed. I determined that the goals of the redesign would be to:
- Make it visually attractive
- Build up the brand image
- Stay simple and redirect potential students to the school websites
- Modernize and make it mobile friendly
I also took into account the target audiences:
- Job applicants, who go through the site to apply for a job
- Journalists who might be looking for information about the company
- Potential students who might be doing research
From there, I decided to take existing content, trim it to the essentials, put a focus on the school websites, and use friendlier language. The new site design used imagery, a different color palette, divide the pages into visually different sections, and sport a new logo, using one I created for the meantime. The home page ended up looking like this:
I felt this new design would help the site, which scared me at first when I applied for a job. Although few will see it, I believe it will positively impact those who do.